The Essex County Tax Board was interested in utilizing GIS in their ongoing operations. Like other tax boards in the state, they were dealing with an unprecedented number of appeals and needed a better way to organize their data. In addition, a number of the towns were being forced into revaluations because of the number of appeals. One of the main requirements for a revaluation is an up to date tax map.
SDL had a number of the towns in Essex County as existing clients and in a many cases we had already created a number of GIS layers for these towns. The Tax Board contracted with SDL to provide consulting and data development services to make this happen.
The GIS project was set up with a number of phases to accomplish the project.
The phases are as follows.
- Phase 1 – County Needs Assessment - Complete
- Phase 2 – Countywide Parcel Map - Complete
- Phase 3 – Ongoing Parcel Maintenance – In Process
- Phase 4 – Vital Geo Integration
- Phase 5 – Mobile Solution for Tax Board and Assessors
- Phase 6 – Digital Tax Map Project for the county
For more information, please contact the following:
The Essex County Tax Board
50 South Clinton Street, Suite 5200,
East Orange, NJ 07018.
Phone number is 973-395-8525.